Cinnamon, in the Canary Wharf Hilton, is a typical hotel eatery a cut above the rest. It has just launched a new brunch menu, complete with EVERYTHING YOU COULD EVER WANT. Start with a bellini, then move on the usual cold meats and cheese, or just go for a full English. Oh, and then there’s a lunch-cum-brunch menu too, which includes a Sunday roast, enchiladas or pasta dishes. It’s a terrifyingly fast whizz around much of the gastro traditions of the world – which, when you’re hungover, can be more disorientating than anything else.
But I digress – Cinnamon is an elegant place to while away a Sunday morning, bent over the Sunday papers. Free from screaming kids and, at 1pm on a Sunday, there’s not a besuited BlackBerry-jabbering individual in sight.
Other brunch places in the City
- The Breakfast Club, Spitalfields – green eggs on toast or the Mexican breakfast are guaranteed to sort out any hangover. Team with a large smoothie and you’re good to go.
- Smith’s of Smithfield, Farringdon – The ‘no booking’ rule can be irritating, but the meat is fresh from Smithfield and worth the wait.
- Hawksmoor, Commercial Street/Guildhall – Early morning power players love the steak and eggs with freshly-squeezed orange juice.
- Caravan, Farringdon – This Antipodean place does amazing coffee, among a large selection of breakfast bits.
- The Anthologist, Bank – Eggs and bacon served up on wooden boards. A bit primal, but very tasty.
- Coq D’Argent, Bank – Viennoiserie sits alongside a mushroom pancake. Sure.